On Sunday September 9, 2018 the Sierra Nevada Scent Work Club is hosting an AKC Farm Dog Certified test in Reno, NV. This test was developed by the American Kennel Club to assess whether a dog has the capability to perform as a confident working partner on a farm or ranch. Dogs passing the FDC test must demonstrate self-control, courage and trust in their handler.
- September 9, 2018 AKC Farm Dog Certified Test (Reno, NV)
Come join the fun!
Is my dog eligible to participate?
A dog of any breed or mixed breed 9 months of age or older on the date of the test who are registered with the American Kennel Club, FSS, PAL or Canine Partners program may participate in the test.
Does my dog need to herd?
Not at all. The test is about assessing a dog’s ability to be a well-behaved and confident farm and ranch dog. There is no herding required as part of this test.
What is tested?
There are twelve test elements in the Farm Dog Certified test. For detailed descriptions of each test, click here.
- Test 1: Greet the Judge
- Test 2: Walk around the farm and a passive stranger
- Test 3: Jump on a straw bale
- Test 4: Walk past farm penned farm animals
- Test 5: Walk over or through unusual surfaces, such as tarps, plywood or a metal grating
- Test 6: Supervised separation in a crate or kennel
- Test 7: Pass through a gate
- Test 8: Handler feeds livestock while dog is tethered
- Test 9: Reaction to another dog walking by
- Test 10: Reaction to noise distraction, such as hammering, farm equipment, etc
- Test 11: Dog approaches penned livestock on loose lead
- Test 12: Physical examination from handler to look for plant material or debris
What equipment do I need?
You will need your dog, a four to six foot leash, a secure well fitting flat collar and your sense of adventure!
Will my dog interact with livestock?
In the Farm Dog Certified test, dogs will work near or around safely penned livestock. Exercises include walking by or moving near livestock as well as remaining calmly tethered while the handler approaches and feeds livestock. There is no direct interaction with the farm animals.
Can I use food or toys during the test?
Food and toys are not permitted during the test, however verbal praise and petting is permitted.
Can my dog earn a title?
Yes! Dogs must pass the Farm Dog Certified test twice under two different judges to earn the FDC title.